The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) wishes to inform the general public that its citizen volunteer initiative, the National Anti-Corruption Volunteer Corps (NAVC) has been suspended with immediate effect due to abuse by certain state chapters which are being investigated.
All State Chapters are by this notice expected to put on hold all activities including the registration of new members pending further directive from ICPC HQ.
The National Anti-Corruption Volunteer Corps (NAVC) was established in 2008 by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to provide an avenue for Nigerians to get involved personally and actively in the campaign against corruption. It is aimed at mobilizing citizens at the grassroots and sensitizing them on the devastating effects of corruption on the well being of Nigerians and the development of the country.
Since its establishment in 2008, the Corps has been inaugurated in most states of the federation, with each chapter headed by a Coordinator. All state chapters are under the supervision of the National Coordinator at the ICPC Headquarters.
The Corps has witnessed a large turn out of registered volunteers most of them carrying out their responsibilities with commitment and dedication. The NAVC has been particularly active in the South East where thousands of citizens enlisted into the Corps. In 2010, a one million man march was organized by the Corps in Owerri, Imo State with the state Governor Ikedi Ohakim and ICPC Chairman Justice Emmanuel Ayoola in attendance. Members of a delegation from the Kenyan anti-corruption Commission on a study tour of the ICPC were invited to witness the one million man march in the Imo State capital.
As the NAVC gained popularity across the country, it attracted different types of volunteers, some of them with dubious intentions. Some of the state Coordinators had became high-handed in their activities while some were consumed by the same, ill they were supposed to fight -corruption. Struggle for control of leadership of the Corps broke out in some states notably Imo, Abia and Ondo states.
Some state Coordinators even resorted to arrest and interrogation of citizens, while some even set up detention centers! It was becoming obvious that some Coordinators had clearly gone beyond their mandate. It got so bad that the Commission arraigned some Coordinators and members to court for corrupt practices.
And so in 2014, the Chairman of the Commission Ekpo Nta ordered for the suspension of activities of the NAVC nationwide. This was aimed at restoring the ideals and noble objectives of the Corps and maintaining the integrity of the Commission. To ensure more transparency and accountability in the activities of the Corps , the Commission has produced operational Guidelines and Training Manuals for prospective volunteers. One of the new provisions stipulates that all volunteers must be gainfully employed citizens and must be sponsored by referees who must be law enforcement officers, senior civil servants, lecturers or professionals of similar standing.
It is hoped that the new operational guidelines and training manuals would attract committed people of integrity who have the intent of Nigeria at heart.
- FCT NAVC Online Applicants List (1440 downloads)
- Additional List of NAVC Shortlisted Applicants for FCT (911 downloads)
- Inauguration of NAVC Chapters in Imo, Rivers, Ondo, Ogun and Oyo States (1183 downloads)
- List of NAVC applicants due for inauguration in Kwara State (842 downloads)
- List of NAVC applicants due for inauguration in Oyo State (723 downloads)
- List of NAVC applicants due for inauguration in Akwa Ibom State (1011 downloads)
- List of NAVC Applicants due for Inauguration for FCT & Enugu State (963 downloads)
- List of applicants for inauguration in Imo, Rivers, Ondo, Ogun & Benue States (1510 downloads)
- Inauguration of NAVC Executive Committees in Delta, Abia and Ekiti States (867 downloads)
- Updated list of Applicants for Inauguration (Delta, Ekiti & Abia States) (1129 downloads)
- 1st Batch of NAVC Candidates for Inauguration and Training (2566 downloads)
- NAVC Enrollment Form (9975 downloads)
- COUNSELING OTHERS ON WHAT TO DO (2844 downloads)
- GUIDELINES FOR COMMUNITY ADVOCACY (2600 downloads)
- PUBIC ENLIGHTMENT- EDUCATION STRATEGIES (2736 downloads)
- UNDERSTANDING THE NATURE OF CORRUPTION (4464 downloads)
- NAVC OPERATIONAL GUIDELINES (4862 downloads)
Want to be a part of the NAVC? Join NAVC today.