Senator Anthony Agbo was born on 15th December 1964 to the family of Chief Jacob and Mrs. Mary Agbo Ogbuewu of Oshituma Ngbo, in Ohaukwu LGA of Ebonyi State.
Sen. Agbo did his primary education at Central School Ngbo, Ohaukwu LGA of Ebonyi State, where he obtained First School Leaving Certificate in 1975; and his secondary school education at Boys Secondary School Ezzamgbo, where he obtained his West African School Certificate (WASC) in 1981.
He studied Mathematics/Education in University of Nigeria Nsukka, where he obtained a B.Sc. Degree in 1988 and did his NYSC in 1989. Much later, he did a postgraduate programme and obtained an M.Sc. Degree in Industrial Mathematics in Ebonyi State University in 2014.
Sen. Agbo reluctantly entered politics and ran an election into Old Enugu State House of Assembly, which he won and was subsequently elected the pioneer Speaker of the State at the age of 26 years in 1992. A military coup terminated that transition after a year and eight months and Sen. Agbo went into private life.
Ebonyi State was created out of the old Enugu state in 1996, and when the ban on politics was lifted in 1998, Sen. Agbo joined politics again and became the Director-General of the Gubernatorial Campaign of the pioneer civilian Governor of Ebonyi State, HE. Dr. Sam Egwu. When Dr. Egwu was elected governor in 1999, Sen. Agbo was appointed Commissioner for Finance and then later Commissioner for Public Utilities.
In 2007, Sen. Agbo was elected into the sixth Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, where he served out his four- year tenure, sponsored 4 bills, and a number of motions and participated actively in floor debates and committee activities.
In 2019, Sen. Agbo served as the Director-General of APC campaign in Ebonyi State.
Sen. Agbo is an honoured and respected author and poet; who has written the following books:
- “Africa. The Glory, The Curse, The Remedy; Biblical Perspective of the African Predicament, published by Abbot Press, USA, and Snaap Press, Enugu, with a forward written by HE. Gen. Yakubu Gowon, GCFR (Former Head of State)
- “Adoration of the King: Poems in Honour of the Great God”
- “Power, Populism and Accomplishment: The story of Jim Ifeanyichukwu Nwobodo”, being the Biography of the former Governor of old Anambra State, which he commissioned Sen. Agbo to write.
- “Governance under Gross Limitations: Why Leadership Has Failed in Africa, Panacea for Reversal” (under publication)
- “Babylon in the Church: The Birth of Composite Christianity” (under publication)
- “A Note on Differential Equation with a Large Parameter” by S.O Maliki and Anthony O. Agbo; a research work on Asymptotic Solutions of a Certain kind of Differential Equations with a very large Parameter; (published in American Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research).
Sen. Anthony Agbo is a Christian and loves charity work and reading.
He is married to Mrs. Agatha Agbo and they are blessed with 7 children.